Hanging Images With Style
Once you have your favorite images picked out, what can you do to create a visually pleasing arrangement on your walls? Here are a few quick tips to help you make the most out of your space.
1. Hang in small groups rather than being spread out. If you have a large wall and just a few pictures, the space will look much better if you group the images together. It gives the illusion of one large piece and keeps the focal point together instead of spread out.
2. The center point should be at eye level. When you are hanging a group of images and art together, the center piece should be hung at the level of one’s eye, if you are standing and looking at it. Then the other pieces can be grouped around this central piece.
3. Have one thing in common. It adds a very interesting look if there is one thing that all of the images have that is the same. This could be the frame color, or that the images are all in black and white, or maybe all of the images are of baby faces. Having a common theme really pulls it all together.
4. Use a shelf and lean the images against the wall. This can be a great way to display images and be able to add a little candle or plant to warm up the entire wall display. Frames can even be hung just inches above the shelf while using the shelf for smaller frames or interesting art pieces.
5. Hang big images where they will be seen from across a room, small images in a wall that you’d stand next to. Think of the person viewing the image. If the wall is a hallway that you are standing 24 inches from, it would be very hard to view a 48 inch picture. Hang that picture on a wall across the room where it is easier to view from a distance and keep smaller pictures on the hallway wall.
6. Create a frame outside a frame. Try hanging 4 square images in a square so that the entire feature appears to be one large frame. You can do this with any number of images, and you may want to lay them all out on the floor before hanging them on the wall.